What do I need for a tax return?

Income/Earnings Documents

  • PAYG Payment Summaries (Group Certificates)
  • Bank Interest Details
  • Payment Summaries from Centrelink
  • Superannuation Lump Sum Statements
  • Superannuation Income Stream Statements
  • Dividends Statements
  • Share Transaction Statements
  • Partnership & Trust Distributions
  • Managed Fund Statements
  • Capital Gains Details – Investment Property Sales, etc
  • Foreign Sourced Income and Pensions
  • Sole Trader (ABN) Income Details
  • Investment Property Income Details

Deductable Expenses

  • Motor Vehicle and Travel Expenses – You can claim vehicle and other travel expenses directly connected with your work, but you can’t claim for normal trips between home and work – this is considered private travel.
  • Clothing, laundry and dry-cleaning expenses – You can claim a deduction for the cost of buying and cleaning occupation-specific clothing, protective clothing and unique distinctive uniforms.
  • Self-Education Expenses – You may be able to claim a deduction for self-education expenses if your study is work-related or if you receive a taxable bonded scholarship. In some circumstances, you have to reduce the amount of your claim by $250.
  • Other Work Related Expenses – You may be able to claim other deductions not previously mentioned. As a rule of thumb, if you need to spend money to earn income, you can usually claim it – either as an immediate deduction, or over time.
  • Asset Purchase Details – Computer, Tools, Equipment, etc
  • Investment Related Expenses – You can claim a deduction if you are able to show that you incurred expenses earning interest, dividend or other investment income.
  • Donations to Charity Organisations – You can only make tax deductible gifts or donations to organisations that have the status of deductible gift recipients (DGRs).
  • Cost of Tax Affairs
  • Income Protection Insurance Premiums
  • Superannuation Contribution If Self-employed.
  • Home office expenses -You may be entitled to claim deductions for home office expenses including a computer, phone or other electronic device you are required to use for work purposes. You must keep records. Running costs may be deductible. Occupancy costs are generally not deductible for an employee.